Love Sport Radio announces today an expansion to nationwide-UK broadcasting and an expanded programming slate to attract new regional audiences. Love Sport has been covering London with its DAB signal. Now it is acquiring Panjab Radio’s slot in the Sound Digital DAB multiplex.
Love Sport will expand its programming dramatically in this ambitious expansion. Programme Director Steve Hodge says that shows which focus on local football (soccer to American readers) will be emphasized to meet the fans of clubs all around the UK. Forty football clubs will be represented in the new programming effort, including:
- Manchester United & Manchester City.
- Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough in the North East
- Aston Villa, West Brom, Wolves, Birmingham and Nottingham Forest in the Midlands
- Celtic and Rangers north of the border, and Swansea and Cardiff in Wales.
- Portsmouth, Southmapton and Bournmouth on the South Coast
- Leeds, Sheffield United & Sheffield Wednesday, Preston and Bristol City will all have their own dedicated shows focusing in depth on their clubs
Founder Kelvin MacKenzie offered a sharply phrased comparison (insult, really) between Love Sport and competitor Talksport: “We look forward to supplying new voices in the commercial sports broadcast market. As I always say; Love Sport is more Harry Kane, while Talksport are reaching for the walking cane.”
The Sound Digital multiplex is co-owned by Wireless Group (owner of Talksport), Arquiva, and Bauer.