James Cridland is Managing Director of media.info, and a U.K.-based radio futurologist. He is a consultant, writer and public speaker who concentrates on the effect that new platforms and technology are having on the radio business. Find out more or subscribe at http://james.cridland.nets
By James Cridland:
- An interesting discussion surfaced this week on media.info – It’s all bad news on radio news bulletins: why? It’s a more nuanced conversation that that, I believe – it’s not that all news on radio bulletins is bad news, but it’s that stories deliberately slanted that way to be more exciting.
- I took part in a future of radio webinar by the folks at Radio.co. If you’ve got 60 minutes free (wow!) then you should watch this. If you’ve more than 60 minutes free, please mail me, I’ve got some stuff you can do.
- Want Ratings Success? My AllAccess.com column this week talks about older brand extensions. They’re bringing in the ratings all over the world.
- The Apple Watch? There’s an FM chip in there. And no, it isn’t turned on.
- Audio Hackathon – a great thing being done by This American Life to make podcasts better. Hurray. More!
- Radio, Streaming, Podcasting and On Demand – some fascinating data, and links to more of it, in this post. Later, the UK’s Adam Bowie discovers some actual data which appears to say that actually, the current system works best.
- Lazy Buggles headline, but interesting piece asking Why Hasn’t Technology Destroyed All Jobs?
- Streaming Music is Ripping You Off — fascinating article by Sharky Laguana, if slightly over-titled, and worth a read
- Mentions of Beats1 on Twitter over the past thirty days. Excepting two big peaks, looks as if it is declining to me.
- 93% Listening to Radio Weekly May Be The Worst Number. Bit of a negative piece but some realism too.
- WGCU – why would you add a service on HD2 and relegate streaming to “coming soon”?
- An example of news spin – in the NYT of all places
- Adam Ragusea on podcasts and the pessimist’s case for public radio’s future– interesting podcast
- 20 years ago: the ABC launched their first ever website. Here’s the coverage from the time.
- Wow, this is big news – Craig Bruce leaves Southern Cross Austereo. Great thinker and a clever, competent programmer.
- So pleased at the final lineup this year for Next Radio. No suits, no panels, just a load of great ideas for everyone in radio. Sep 14. Want a discount code? Mail me.
- Pure close streaming music service to radio sets – shame to see it go, but it was a great experiment
- A decent free book about making money from free. Lots relevant for radio.
- How does your radio station use social media? A quick survey by 5Digital that might be worth spending 5 minutes on, if you can
- Eurgh, UX and record companies and Apple – “A brand new 10/10 song was on the radio yesterday but it’s almost impossible to hear it”
- Interesting – NottsTV is putting the Gem106 breakfast show out. Good idea (for both).
- UTV to sell TV channel to ITV; to focus on running radio stations. Goodness. Someone will need a name change…