James Cridland is Managing Director of media.info, and an Australia-based radio futurologist. He is a consultant, writer and public speaker who concentrates on the effect that new platforms and technology are having on the radio business. Find out more or subscribe at http://james.cridland.net
James Cridland’s articles
- Our Younger Listeners Want On-Demand Content (my article)
- Daily news about podcasting and on-demand. Delivered every day to your inbox. Free. Sign-up now.
- Digital radio manufacturers – looking for design help? Try these: the worst volume controls in the world
- A report from the Talkers convention for talk radio in Manhattan by Graham Mack
- NPR publishes a “how to do Facebook Live” guide. Worth nicking the ideas from here.
- Here’s Why Sirius XM Invested $480 Million in Pandora – seems a sensible purchase to me
- Cumulus Media “is on the brink of a total collapse“
- Fox News is officially no longer fair and balanced. (There goes one of my conference speech jokes).
- Playing dirty against the opposition. Some great stories from Paige Nienaber
- NPR Jumps on HomePod Bandwagon – a piece about the platforms NPR is now available on. Lots of them, essentially.
- Just remembering Next Radio from last year. Proud of @matt and my conference. This year it’s on September 18th, and if you’re lucky you’ll hear about some of the speakers later today at next.radio.
- In Stoke-on-Trent, Signal Radio’s Louise Stones has now popped up on BBC Radio Stoke. The local newspaper has a good story with listener reactions
- Epic rant on Iain Dale’s programme on LBC. Occasionally, it’s good to know when to shut up.
- Bauer to network mid-mornings on their Big City stations; 10 presenters to go. Meantime, Bauer’s West FM output will now come from studios in Glasgow, rather than Ayr. “Commitment to local output remains the same”, they say – at least, that’s a short version of a quote I took from the initial version of the networking story: the quote appears to now say “Our commitment to creating compelling engaging relevant content is at the heart of what we do.”
- Fans of Radio Active rejoice! (If you’re unaware of Radio Active, wait for the BBC to re-run the show from “Britain’s First National Local Radio Station”.
- ‘News Feed First’: How Global uses social media
- ABC’s ‘stunning axing‘ of 30-year Adelaide veteran. Radio benefits from obsessive, dedicated people: which makes sudden decisions like this difficult to manage.
- Edison Research’s Infinite Dial releases data about Australian radio listening – there’s lots here, and I’ve not yet digested it fully. More Australians than Americans know what a podcast is, though.
- You don’t get these excellent headlines from the BBC… 😉
- What are the top five reasons Australians say they listen to community radio? – this is good press.
- South Africa: Some good stats from Primedia Broadcasting, highlighting radio’s future is a multiplatform one
- South Africa: Traffic a major driver in powering drive time radio
- Canada: Vista Talent Feedback – this is a nice idea. Get advice from great local programmers (and, I would suspect, also help those local programmers discover new talent). (Disclosure: I’m on the board of directors for Vista)
- I’ve found another 2DAY – this time, in Fiji. (Also in parts of Canada, and of course Sydney)