CNN has released info about its new podcast season, which includes five new CNN Originals. Chief political correspondent Dana Bash and chief international correspondent Clarissa Ward helm new shows.
Ward’s new podcast, Tug of War, will examine movements around the world resisting oppressive regimes. “During my career I’ve always been struck by extraordinary acts of courage from ordinary people,” said Ward. “Currently, authoritarian regimes are on the ascent across the world, but so are the grassroot movements resisting them.” Ward has recently been reporting from Afghanistan.
Here are the new CNN Originals:
- “Total Recall: California’s Political Circus” with Dana Bash (premieres Sept. 8): Bash unpacks the scandal, partisanship and celebrity of the Golden State’s 2003 gubernatorial recall election — which culminated in the election of Arnold Schwarzenegger — and explores what it might have foreshadowed about politics today. Listen to the trailer at this link.
- “Tug of War” with Clarissa Ward (October): From Myanmar to Syria and from Russia to Afghanistan, a new generation of activists has emerged around the globe to counter rising authoritarianism. In this series, Ward promises unprecedented access to the citizens leading the fights for democracy.
- “Margins of Error” with Harry Enten (Sept. 21): Enten, CNN’s resident poll numbers-cruncher, finds the hidden truth in statistics with a look at zeitgeisty topics like phone phobias, the evolution of dating rules, why human composting (not cremation) may be the answer to a climate-friendly death, and some surprising data around people’s belief in ghosts.
- “When Diana Met…” (Oct. 7): This show goes inside Princess Diana’s most notable meetings with public figures, politicians, dignitaries and celebrities. Host Aminatou Sow reveals often-overlooked truths and misunderstandings about her life, and what they teach us about power, gender and control.
- “Very Scary People” (date TBA): The companion podcast to HLN’s crime series of the same title returns to Amityville, N.Y., to revisit the true story of the 1974 murders that spawned a cultural phenomenon.
Added to the show premieres above are new seasons of existing podcasts: Chasing Life with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, The Axe Files with David Axelrod and The Handoff with Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon.